Friday, March 7, 2014

Random & Corwyn in the beginning...

So when my first son Corwyn was born, I thought he was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! He had all his fingers and toes and was healthy - prayers answered! I never knew how much you could love someone until that moment and on! I had never truly loved unconditionally - the way a mother loves her child! My heart overflowed and I had a blast with my son - and watching him hit all his "benchmarks." A short 17 months later, I had boy/girl twins. My life became "Mi Vida Loca" and Corwyn became a different child. I thought he was regressing because he went from being one to one  of three and the other two required  a lot of attention. My marriage fell to pieces and Corwyn had started to scream for hours at a time non-stop. When Corwyn was three, we separated and divorced. As hard as it was to become a single mother of three, Corwyn's yelling reduced immensely. It was as if he felt the tension and screamed due to it! He still wasn't talking and our pediatrician referred us to the school system that was about to let out for summer so they sent us to Village of Hope to get testing to share with them when they got back after summer.

Random and Corwyn
Corwyn and Kira

So while they were asking all these questions about Corwyn, I realized that I needed to bring Random in as well as he fit some of the profile questions. Well,  so my boys both had autism. They told me I took it very well. I was just glad to know what I was up against! So we got Corwyn into a pre-K program and Random into a program that helped from 2 - 3 year olds. When Corwyn was in Kindergarten, he became the teacher's pet and she warned me that he might have to do Kindergarten again as he might not be ready for 1st grade. But by the end of Kindergarten, he pulled through and though she loved him - let him go! We were so blessed early on to have people who just adored and helped the boys!


We moved to California and they have it going on to help people with autism. Well, at least God guided us in the right direction! Corwyn was now talking and finally potty trained at 4. Random started talking at 5 (Potty training was a whole 'nother story!) He came home from school one day and said "Mom, we learned a song at school today (and sang) G-R-E-E-N, G-R-E_E-N, that is how you spell Green, G-R-E-E-N!" I said, "That is the most beautiful song I've ever heard!," with tears streaming down my face. (Many years later, I was telling the story, & said that at the time that is how I felt - not that it was the most beautiful song I'd ever hear but music to my ears, and Random chimed in, "Wow, I am so glad to hear that! I thought it was and I have often wondered how that could be your favorite song!" Ah, autism and how our kids see the world!) Random spoke in full sentences from there on as if someone flipped a switch! The boys were both in classes designated to work with kids with autism and wonderful, magical things happened that year! But I got homesick for my family back in Texas and moved back to San Antonio. At first, their teachers said that I brought them back to show off! That is how big the change in them was. 

It got tough from here...the boys really struggled for years in school. I was constantly called to calm them via phone or had to go get the boys from suspension because something set them off. Thank you Lord, that I worked from home. I could have never worked a normal 9-5 job! During this time, Corwyn's weight really got out of control. He was and still is a very picky eater (another fun trait of autism), but we had to address it because he didn't fir into clothes you could just go buy at Marshall's or Target. - Remember, I was a single mom on a budget!) So, we drew a line in the sand and said no to the next size up and searched to find a way to help him lose weight.

We walked and finally got him to do it on his own - I literally drug him along at the beginning, giving him incentives to make it to the stop sign and so on! The walking helped but we still went into 40s and XXL shirts. Then, it was a true line in the sand! He was getting so big - the kids were bullying and making fun of him. Even Random, in all his honesty, would tell Corwyn how fat he was. So when I got invited to a meeting and heard about someone losing 50 lbs. I was all in! How do I get this program! It took a little nudging for my husband. He didn't think it would work and it was a big investment to start and continue the program, but it worked and was worth every penny! The best part is not just the weight loss, but what happened next, I never expected...
Corwyn has lost even more weight since this pic! But look at that happy family! (+ 2 friends) :D

Corwyn started having conversations with us - that he initiated! He noticed my mom was out of town and asked to call and speak with her and had a long conversation on the phone! He knocked on the door and wished us Happy Anniversary in the morning! It was just amazing the transformation not just physically but also emotionally and behaviorally. He started laughing and smiling and could focus on things better. I researched to find out what was creating this transformation and realized we were instituting Nutritional Therapy. How had I not ever seen this before? I grew up with a Chiropractic grandfather and we were very into alternative ways of healing. Well, I am just glad I finally did stumble across it!
Corwyn at his high school graduation! :D
Now both the boys are in college doing great! Random even was on the Dean's List his second semester and they were invited into the National Society for Leadership and Success. So, I started this blog - not to brag on my boys but to shine a light at the end of the tunnel of autism and show that there is a way to navigate through it! Your child is not doomed to a life of nothingness! Yeah, I had people tell me this and say that I had high expectations. You bet I did and still do - if we do not help our kids to be the best they can be, well, then they will never be all that is possible within them and there is such brilliance there! If you would like a health guide for autism and know more about nutritional therapy, e-mail me at kristycasey@usana.com. It actually cost very little to help them to balance their systems and I would love to help you help your child. It is what I feel is God's purpose for me and brings me great joy!
Love, JOY & Peace,
Kristy

No comments:

Post a Comment